Monday, August 29, 2011

MTV Video Music Awards- probably my last

Last night, for the first time in five years, I watched the MTV Video Music Awards in their entirety. And I must say, I don't think I've been missing much. I used to be obsessed with MTV, but have watched less and less as I got older. At this point, I rarely watch it at all, except for "special events" like this.

I think I would have been fine missing it. The state of popular music is quite sad. Or maybe I'm just "old." Lady Gaga opened the show as a man, and continue to stay in character the whole night. That's fine, but when she was presenting Britney Spears with a Vanguard Award, she wouldn't move out of the way, taking away from the Britney's moment. I thought that was kind of rude really. Not to mention the song she sang was AWFUL, and, although the camera cut away, I'm quite sure she fell when she jumped off the top of her piano. Can't say I'm sorry about that.

Everybody was talking about Beyonce and her baby bump. Whoo-de-do. I didn't like the song she performed, and her backing track was so loud, it looked like she was lip syncing. Also, Chris Brown is still a woman beater in my eyes and I don't really care to see him do anything, even if he's flying (he also was lip syncing). Oh, and Katy Perry won Best Video; I can't stand her.

The lone high spots of the evening were Adele's performance of "Something Like You," Bruno Mars' Amy Winehouse tribute of "Valerie" and the dance video tribute to Britney. All of those I can probably find on YouTube in the next few days.

Therefore, MTV Video Music Awards, after all our years together, I bid you adieu. I will probably never watch you again (unless Hanson performs!).

Did anyone else watch? What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment