Monday, August 29, 2011

Ode to the bubbly and bright

After that fun and light hearted post, I have to write about something completely horrible. This weekend, one of the associate professors at USC was murdered in her home.

http://www.wistv.com/story/15347947/police-woman-found-dead-inside-home

Dr. Jennifer Wilson was one of the professors in the Language and Literacy program in the College of Education. I was a graduate assistant for that program while I was in grad school completing it. I had the privilege of taking one of my first graduate classes from Dr. Wilson. Mostly what I remember about her is how she was SO energetic. She was so talkative and friendly, frequently smiling.

I was impressed with her as I got to know her through working as a GA. I can't remember exactly all the places she'd been, but she was well traveled, having been to, studied, and taught in many other countries and all over the United States. She was so wordly!

It saddens me to know that, not only did someone else take her life, but that she was so young. I think of all her coworkers in the L&L program as they come to grips with this situation. I think of her current students, as they mourn their teacher, while trying to adjust to a new one. I think of her former students, whose lives and teaching she touched. I think of the students who will never be able to learn from her brilliant teaching. And finally, I think of her parents and family. Dr. Wilson, we will miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment