Sunday, January 29, 2012

Living on Purpose

The sermon series at our church the last three weeks has been called "Living on Purpose." This has been extremely timely for Jamie and I as we make a big decision in the next few days. I'd like to share with you the notes I took from the sermon last week. I hope it is as helpful to you as it has been to us!

Finding Your Personal Purpose

God speaks to us through...
- a clear, compelling word
- sufficient faith

Preparation for Hearing God's Purpose 
- Be a Christian (1 Corinthians 2:14)
- Be a surrendered Christian
- Pray: Ask, seek, knock

Tools for Seeking God's Purpose
- Talk with Christian friends
      ~ wise counsel and guidance
- What do the Scriptures say?
     ~Does it violate the letter of the Scripture:? (1 John 2:3)
     ~Is it in harmony with the spirit of the Scripture? (2 Corinthians 3:6)
- What does the pattern of God's work in your life indicate? (1 Samuel 17:36)
- Is my conscience truly clear about it? (Romans 14:22)

Discerning God's Purpose
- Don't be put off by a lack of settledness (Exodus 3-4; 1 John 4:18; Matthew 26:39)
- Am I excited about it? (Colossians 2:23)
- Does my excitement or commitment deepen over time? (Acts 5:38-39)
- If you had to say "I accept or reject your offer" and write a letter of explanation, what would you say in one written to God? What would you say in a letter written to the person who made the offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment