Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Adventures in Couponing

I've been wanting to write about couponing, but wasn't sure how to approach it. However, after today's haul, I have to share!

For me, couponing goes all the way back to when I was little. My dad used to do the grocery shopping for our family and he ALWAYS had coupons. I remember him cutting out stacks and his little coupon folder he had-- and now that I think about it, it occurs to me that I may have the same one! I have no idea about his strategies: stacking coupons, matching sales, etc, I just remember the kitchen bar being covered in coupons!

So, I guess it was inevitable I would end up in the world of couponing. Back around March or so, I randomly started receiving coupons in the mail. I still don't know how it happened, but that started the ball rolling. At that point, I was only shopping at Wal-Mart. It's across the street from our house, and I am all about convenience, plus the fact that's where I had done all my grocery shopping since I went to college. A few weeks later, I started to look around at "Southern Savers," which I had heard much about. There I discovered printable coupons! I honestly didn't know there was such a thing, but it was an exciting discovery. For the next couple of months, I used them when they matched stuff already on my list. I had read that grocery stores were really the way to go, but didn't have the time to match up everything during the school year.

In June though, with the prospect of no job, I decided to get serious about saving. I chose Publix as my store because that is where I had heard the most people talk about saving a ton. Kroger pops up every once in a while too. My weekly grocery budget is about $75 and it is amazing how much farther I can stretch that now!

Here are some things I do to get the most out of my saving.

1. Keep a running spreadsheet of Walmart prices to make sure something that is "on sale" somewhere else can't be bought at a cheaper price there.
2. Sign up for the Southern Savers "Coupon Advisory" newsletter. She sends out a list of new printable coupons daily so I never miss one!
3. I have two lists: one for Publix, which consists of ONLY things on sale, and I try to have coupons for as many of those things as possible; the other list is of needs, things we've run out of, and I get those at Walmart, because they'll be cheaper than something not on sale at Publix. Some weeks, such as this one, I have an extra list for Kroger. I only go there if they have super cheap deals or a large number of items on sale I would buy. Since I do my shopping all in one day, it's kind of out of the way and not worth it otherwise.

For proof of savings, check out what I got at Publix this week:
1 Breyer's Blast Ice Cream
1 Mott's Strawberry Applesauce 6 pk
2 Bird's Eye Steamfresh Frozen Vegetables
2 Boxes of Cheez Its
1 Box of Wheat Thins
5 Bags of Chex Mix
2 Tomatoes
4 Kraft Salad Dressings
4 V8 Splashes
2 Jars of Mt. Olive Pickles
3 12 pack bottles of Lipton Citrus Green Tea

PAID: $35. 68
SAVED: $52. 79

That's 60 %! $39.79 of those savings came strictly from the items being on sale. I had $13.00 worth of coupons.

If you want to try couponing too-- and I highly recommend it!-- here is what you should do.

1. Go to SouthernSavers.com. At the top, click on her "Learn to Coupon" tab. That is really all the basic information you need to get started. She even has some videos, if things aren't clear. Make sure you sign up for the "Coupon Advisory" and "Daily Deals" newsletters. This way, you don't have to constantly check the site to see what's new.
2. Pick one store to focus on-- I am partial to Publix. I NEVER shopped there before I started couponing because they were so expensive. Their "buy one get one free" sales can't be beat though! And the cool thing about those is that you don't have to buy two. You can buy one and get it half price.
3. Remember that most grocery stores (not Food Lion) will double all coupons up to 50 cents. That means you can get a dollar off one item if your coupon is for 50 cents. I have also heard that Bi Lo is now doubling coupons up to 60 cents, but haven't tried it out for myself.
4. DON'T buy it just because you have a coupon for it! I made that mistake a little at first, but quickly corrected it. 

Anyway, although it takes some time, it's SO worth it! I get so excited about grocery shopping now, knowing that I'm saving so much money! It took me about six weeks to start saving more than I was spending, and just about every week I do that now at Publix. I am by no means an expert, but if you have any questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help! Happy couponing!



2 comments:

  1. YAY! I can never find time to blog on my couponing so GO YOU! Publix is my favorite place to save money. We just spent $101 and saved $150 today. Have you ever tried to follow the other site I love, "Hip2save"? It is random blog posts about good deals so you have to check it frequently, but it has been a great find for me! Check out her most recent vide on Walmart couponing (probably mostly things you already know). http://hip2save.com/2011/09/welcome-today-viewers-were-so-glad-youre-here.html I use her site more for photo deals, freebies, clothes, gifts, etc. Southernsavers is the best for cvs, walgreens, publix stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous that you have a Publix. We're supposed to get one up this way in the next year or so and I'm so excited! It's supposed to be the best place for couponing. I've been doing it for about 2 years now, and Bi-Lo is the best store around here. So glad I found your blog! :) ~Heather

    ReplyDelete