Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Where've You Been?!

If you're a regular reader of the blog, you might have wondered this to yourself sometime over the past couple of months. Most of my time was consumed by long term subbing, which was wonderful and I'll write a separate post about. Here are some other things we've been up to these past few weeks.

Taxes- One of the first weekends in February we spent doing our taxes. It took alllll day on a Saturday, but we got them done early!

Valentine's- We both spent the weekend before Valentine's Day sick, so we decided to celebrate the weekend after. It was quite eventful! We went to our favorite Asian restaurant (Antai in Lexington) and enjoyed a delicious meal. Then we got a surprise visit from Cin (& Court the next day) and took our first picture together since my wedding:


Jamie also upgraded to an IPhone 4S and while we were there, we switched to AT&T U-verse. We've been thinking about switching cable providers for a year, and finally made the plunge. So far, it's been pretty good. There have been a couple of little glitches, but it's much cheaper than Time Warner AND we get whole house DVR, which I've never had. And of course, this is just enabling my TV addiction even further ;-)

Celebrations- My mom came down at the end of February to stay with us and we took her out for a birthday dinner. For St. Patrick's Day this year, our friend Magan had a small get-together which was so fun. She set up a treasure hunt in her apartment, leading us with a series of clues, and Jamie and I won some yummy "gold nuggets" and "money mints." I also won Scattergories... I felt very lucky that day!

Speaking of good fortune, Easter is not yet upon us, but Shandon always does their modern worship event on Palm Sunday. This year, we were so blessed to have Kevin Olusola as a guest artist. Kevin is well known for two reasons: some know him as the "beatboxing cellist." Others (such as myself) know him as the vocal percussionist for the a cappella group Pentatonix, who just so happened to win a little show called "The Sing Off," which I'm more than a little obsessed with! If you want to see him with Pentatonix, you can go to one of my previous posts: Friday Four- February 11 
Here he is using the talent he bestowed on us Sunday:


Sad Times- One of the most important events of the past couple of months was the death of my maternal grandmother. She had Alzheimer's for the past few years and so it was inevitable I suppose. The State newspaper had just done an article about my grandparents last Valentine's Day, since they had been married for so long. It was so sweet then, and made bittersweet now that she's gone:
SC Man Loses his Loving Singing Partner 

My very first youth minister, Stan Stone, passed away recently from cancer. He introduced me to the sounds of Jars of Clay and DC Talk, and was such a kind man. He also looked kind of like my daddy! In addition to both of those deaths, one of my colleagues from my former school, Peggy Tiller, passed away after losing her fight with breast cancer. They always say death comes in threes, and this time was no different.

Randoms- We also went to our first baseball game of the season last month, which just happened to be the heartbreaker where we lost to Florida in the last inning. On a lighter note, Jamie almost had a star encounter a couple of weeks ago, as he delivered to the film crew of "Oprah's Next Chapter," who were in Orangeburg filming a show about Shaquan Duley. He didn't know it at the time, but after watching the show, we are pretty sure that Oprah was just inside the house that he delivered to!


Whew, I think that about rounds it up for now. I'm sure I left out something, but that's okay :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment