Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Co-Op: Month 3

Here's some more kitchen inspiration for you this month! Who would have ever thought I'd be writing posts like these?! Not me :-)


Recipe Inspiration: Onion Rings
Onion Rings
Ingredients we used: Vegetable oil, Great Value dry pancake mix, red onion

We followed the recipe exactly, except we used our mini deep fryer instead of a skillet. These are the BEST onion rings I've ever had. The batter stays on and the onion doesn't slide out. Oh my goodness, I want some more right now.



Recipe Inspiration: Blueberry Pie
Blueberry Pie

Ingredients we used: We used the same ingredients listed.

We had a ton of delicious sweet blueberries, so Jamie wanted to make a pie. This was the first blueberry pie I'd ever eaten, and I think it was quite good. We took it over to some friends' house and everyone there thought it was great, so the people have spoken! (And I have to give Jamie all credit for the lattice work :-D)



Recipe Inspiration: Light and Fresh Potato Salad
Light Potato Salad
Ingredients we used: balsamic vinegar, canola oil, salt, ground black pepper, 3 red potatoes, 2 small cucumbers, 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, 2/3 of green pepper, 1/4 cup yellow onion

I originally liked this recipe because it had no mayonnaise or mustard. I didn't have rice vinegar, hence the balsamic, which I think actually made it better. This was really good and I will definitely make it again... especially since they always give us LOTS of potatoes!



Recipe Inspiration: Baked Eggplant Chips
Eggplant Chips
Ingredients we used: No differences from the recipe

I followed the recipe, but as you can see from the picture, they turned out a bit chewy. If I make these again, I will use the recipe from the squash/zucchini chips and see if they are any better.



Recipe Inspiration: Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes
Ingredients we used: green tomato, salt, Mrs. Dash Table Blend, cornmeal, vegetable oil

These tasted really good actually, but next time we're going to cut them thinner so they cook a little faster, and also peel them so the cornmeal sticks better. Yum yum!



Recipe Inspiration: Roasted Radishes
Roasted Radishes
Ingredients we used: radishes, lemon, olive oil, thyme, salt & pepper

Sooo...these didn't turn out so great. I couldn't get them very evenly cooked; some parts were soft, but most not soft enough. I managed to get down what you see here, but I threw the other portion out. I hope they don't buy radishes again!!




Recipe Inspiration: Oven Roasted Eggplant

Roasted Eggplant
Ingredients we used: Same as listed... watch the oil and salt though, because it coats very easily

We made this twice, and the second time we peeled the eggplant, which was a great decision. It was much easier to eat without having to chew the skin forever. It made a little bit of a crisp on the outside anyway, so it was perfect. This is definitely my favorite eggplant recipe so far.




Recipe Inspiration: Baked Eggplant Sticks

Baked Eggplant Sticks
Ingredients we used: eggplant, olive oil, salt, pepper, cornmeal, milk, cooking spray

This was another recipe fail. They were way too cornmeal-y. Maybe it was because I changed too many of the ingredients. If you try this, let me know, so I can figure out what to do!

1 comment: