Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A cappella madness!

In honor of the advent of the third season of The Sing Off, I think it's time for some a cappella blogging!

For those that met me post-college, you may or may not know I was a founding member of USC's female a cappella group Cocktails. It was the most awesome experience and sometimes I want to go back to college just so I can be in the group again! I even pulled out some of our old DVDs to watch this summer, and channeled my inner diva during karaoke this summer ("Rolling in the Deep" anyone?). I wish there were enough alum around Columbia to start another group. If you'd like to check out the current incarnation of the group, they have tons of videos on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Cocktailsacappella
Here is one of my favorites: 





On to The Sing Off -- this is THE coolest thing to happen to a cappella. I am so excited that they expanded it into a full season this year instead of just a holiday miniseries. This competition has done so much to further the awareness of a cappella. The only thing that bothers me is that they keep referring to it as "voices only," which is technically correct, but I think people can learn a new vocabulary word.

As I was watching last night, I was trying to pinpoint why this show (other than the obvious reasons) seems so different from other singing reality competitions. I decided that this show is completely positive. They don't show the groups during auditions, and thus ridicule them (which is key since many college groups have frequently rotating members). They allow all the groups to sit by the stage and watch each other. The groups are all incredibly supportive of each other, standing ovations and all. I think this gives it a different feel from all of the others.

I really enjoyed most of the first eight groups. Yellowjackets, AfroBlue and Vocal Point more than represented for the college scene. As for Delilah, I was kind of annoyed at first that previous contestants were back, but then I found out they were all in college when they performed before, and have now formed an alumni group,  so it's okay :-) I was pleased to finally see a group (Urban Method) do a rap song, which was decent. I only disagreed with one of the choices they sent home: Kinfolk 9 should have been eliminated instead of Cat's Pajamas. I'm going to wait to pick a favorite until the second bracket performs next week.

Oh, and the addition of Sara Barielles is STELLAR. I called that from the first season. She was in a group at UCLA and I actually have a recording of her singing "Gravity" with her group Awaken. I'm pretty sure that was the first recorded incarnation of the song. Anyway, I'm glad they put someone with true a cappella ties on the panel.

Well, that's my schpiel for the moment. Did you watch? Who was your favorite? What did you think of Sara? Comments please!

2 comments:

  1. Me thinks you should have an a cappella party and show all us all of your old Cocktail DVDs. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did watch & I enjoyed it. I am glad they are doing a longer season also. I look forward to hear what the other groups have to offer.

    ReplyDelete