Friday, September 30, 2011

The Guest Teacher

Well, I am officially a substitute. I must say, it feels very strange to be on the other side of things. I've thought about how this job is actually quite counter to my personality. I am a total plan ahead, overachiever. With subbing though, I have no idea when I will teach. I don't know anything about the schools; I don't know where anything is and how to get there; I don't even know what grade I'll be teaching! When I signed up, I had no idea how competitive it would be. According to the district coordinator, there are NINE HUNDRED substitutes in their system.This has led to me only seeing two jobs even listed in the past nine days.

I had my first and only assignment thus far on Wednesday. It was a second grade class and the whole team had subs because the grade was having a "data day." Lucky for me, that meant I was able to talk to the teacher at the beginning of the day because they were on campus. It was also picture day, but she was there for that too. The day wasn't what I would call "fun," as Jamie asked me, but it was manageable. The sub plans said the class was supposed to go to the library for half an hour, but there was a mixup, so I had to fill in that time myself. Good thing I've actually taught before and brought along an emergency sub kit (containing books, games & post-its!) so I was able to fill that time. I was wondering, as the day went on, how non-certified subs make it through. Granted, I didn't do any actual "teaching"-- except one on one assistance-- but just knowing the little things that make a day run smoothly from my own experience was extremely helpful. The kids were sweet, but they were so noisy. I definitely had some deja vu, at times, from my own teaching days! Any class is manageable for a day though, at least after everything I've handled in my short four years.

I hope that my job volume picks up, or it's going to be a lonnnnng school year. If you know anyone that teaches in Lexington One, please let them know about me, so they can request me! That seems like it may be my only chance of really getting in there. I'm also looking maybe for tutoring/ babysitting/daycare opportunities, or anything else educational, so if you have any suggestions, let me know. I don't like being unemployed, mostly from the money standpoint, but also from the being bored standpoint. Although, it is way too easy to get used to not working!

Continuing on the career subject, I took the Praxis a couple of weeks ago to get certified as a reading teacher. Those scored come back mid-month, so I really hope to add that certification to my certificate! I'm betting on that either allowing me another job path, or just putting my resume at the top of others who are just certified in EC. I also babysat a couple of times for the first time in years, which was fun.

There are just so many possibilities out there, I hope God leads me where he wants me to go soon!

1 comment:

  1. I will keep you in mind if I ever need a babysitter. I do know that Riverland Hills had some kind of opening but I don't actually remember what it was. You may want to give them a call.

    ReplyDelete