Thursday, September 22, 2011

New TV Review: New Girl, Revenge, Whitney

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE tv premiere month?!

New Girl, Fox Tuesday @ 9 ; Whitney, NBC Thursday @ 9:30



I put these two together because they are both single female lead comedies. New Girl basically hinges on whether or not you like Zooey Deschanel. If you like her, you'll like the show, and vice versa. I happen to be a big fan, so I really enjoyed the show. She's such a dorky, relatable character (at least for me) and the laughs were effortless. I think it's a really good followup to Glee.  


 


Whitney, on the other hand took a little more warming up for me. It's shot in front of a live audience, which most sitcoms don't do anymore, so it gives it a completely different feel. The lead, Whitney Cummings, is coming from the world of Chelsea Handler and stand up comedy. Sometimes I felt like I was watching stand up, with one liners being flown from every direction, instead of a seamless story. It was sometimes funny, but I think they were trying much too hard.

Unfortunately, comedies focused on a single woman don't seem to last very long (Jenny; Kristin; Samantha Who?), so I hope at least one of these makes it to next season! If I had to pick only one, it would be New Girl, but I'm going to give Whitney another chance too.


Revenge, ABC Wednesday @ 10

I originally wanted to watch this just out of pure curiosity, but now I am SO excited about this show. It reminded me somewhat of The OC, in the fact that it was taking quite a storied place (The Hamptons) and imagining the lives of those there. It's scandalous and slightly trashy, but also very suspenseful. I'm already invested in the storyline and wondering what happened to Emily Thorn's father. As opposed to new show Ringer that I reviewed last week, these writers did a much better job introducing and establishing characters and plot that are somewhat complicated. I will definitely be tuning in next week!



Did anybody watch any of these shows this week? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Revenge. It's on my "must watch" list for this fall.
    Aunt Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually watch new shows because they're most likely going to be dumb. If they end up being really good, I figure I'll hear how good they are and then I can tune in without wasting any of my time. But, the ads for the New Girl appealed to me so I watched it. It was high-larious! "Two-Boobs Johnson". Ha! I don't know if it will end up being a must-see for me, like How I Met Your Mother, but I'm definitely going to aim to watch it next week.

    ReplyDelete